Tuesday, June 29, 2010

OMG the traffic!!!

I live in a suburb of Atlanta. I sometimes have places to go in the morning, or maybe early evening. I don't like having to do these things, because it means that I have to sit in traffic. This is what it looks like:




Ack!! This has got to be the worst traffic in the whole world. I can leave my house at 8:30 am and it takes me over an hour to go 30 miles! Over an hour!!! And I'm not even riding a camel!!!

I have tried taking back roads, and they shave off 5-10 minutes. What you make up for in movement, you get held up by red lights. That, and all the other people who also tried back roads. Also, there is inevitably a school along your route that is having a function. Or a church. Or both.

This translates roughly into: I spend a lot of time in my car. I spend a lot of time singing off key and memorizing songs. I even tried to learn russian once. That dent go so well.

I don't know why, but ever since I got my first car, I have been driving every freaking where!!! I've almost always worked too far to walk or bus, and in Atlanta anybody will tell you that takes hours.

I figured out that I would have to leave my old job at 5:40 in order to catch a bus that would take me to a station to get another bus, and then ride it down to the Marta train station, then ride downtown so I could get on another branch, and from there get on the last bus to a bus station 8 miles from my house, and then ride on yet another bus and I would get home around 10. Marta is only "smarta" if you live ITP and near the train.

So bravely, I continue to fight the traffic. I let people over, I don't cut people off. I try to make sure that I am not an asshole to anybody. I didn't rear end the guy who decided to come to a complete stop on the highway in front of me. I just wish some drivers would return the favor. Or at least get off the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment